The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the construction of Aligarh-Harduaganj flyover. The construction of the flyover will be taken up by the Ministry of Railways.
- The total length of the Aligarh-Harduaganj railway flyover will be 22 Km.
- The construction of teh flyover is expected to be completed by 2024-25.
- The total cost estimated for the project is Rs.1285 crore.
- The flyover will reduce traffic and heavy detention of trains at Aligarh Junction.
- Flyover at Aligarh, over the existing Delhi-Howrah main line, is an operational necessity and is essentially required to remove the bottleneck to traffic movement.
- By constructing a flyover that connects Aligarh to Harduaganj the delays and detentions will be avoided.
What is Cabinet Committee?
- The Cabinet Committees are extra-constitutional.
- In other words, they are not mentioned in the Constitution. However, the Rules of Business provide for their establishment.
- The executive in India works under the Government of India Transaction of Business Rules, 1961.
- These Rules emerge out of Article 77(3) of the Constitution, which states: “The President shall make rules for the more convenient transaction of the business of the Government of India, and for the allocation among Ministers of the said business.”
- The Prime Minister constitutes Standing Committees of the Cabinet and sets out the specific functions assigned to them. He can add or reduce the number of committees.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs:
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs is supposed to review economic trends, problems and prospects “for evolving a consistent and integrated economic policy”, coordinate all activities requiring policy decisions at the highest level, deal with fixation of prices of agricultural produce and prices of essential commodities.
- It considers proposals for investment of more than Rs 1,000 crore, deal with industrial licensing policies and review rural development and the Public Distribution System.
- It is chaired my Prime Minister of India.