Focus: GS II- Government policies and Intervention
Why in News?
The National Commission for the Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has launched a “CiSS application” under the Baal Swaraj portal to help in the rehabilitation process of Children in Street Situations (CiSS).
- The CiSS application is used for receiving data of children in street situations from all the states and union territories, tracking their rescue and rehabilitation process.
- The initiative is taken under the direction of the Supreme Court of India.
- The program embodies Article 51 (A) of the Constitution of India, as it provides a platform to the public and organizations catering to the welfare of the children to report any child in need of assistance.
- The platform serves to collect data and report to the District Child Protection Officer (DCPO) for them to take necessary action.
- It also provides a platform for professionals and organizations to provide any help that they can to children in need.
- Help can be provided in the form of open shelters, counselling services, medical services, sponsorships, de-addiction services, education services, legal/paralegal services, volunteering etc.
- It categorizes any child under ‘Children in Street Situation’ if the child is living on the streets alone, living on the streets during the day, or living on the streets with the family.
- The root cause of this phenomenon is the migration of families from rural to urban areas in search of a better standard of living.
How does it work?
- Collection of the child’s details, which is accomplished through the portal.
- Social Investigating Report (SIR)e, investigating the child’s background. This is done under the supervision of the District Child Protection Unit (DCPU) by the District Child Protection Officer (DCPO) by conversing and counselling the child.
- Formulating an Individual Care Plan (ICP) for the child.
- Child Welfare Committee (CWC) based on the SIR submitted to the CWC.
- Allocating the schemes and benefits that the beneficiary can avail of.
- A checklist is made for the evaluation of the progress i.e. (Follow Ups).