Consider the following statements:
1. Carbon fibres are used in the manufacture of components used in automobiles and aircrafts.
2. Carbon fibres once used cannot be recycled.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Let’s analyze each statement:
- Carbon fibers are used in the manufacture of components used in automobiles and aircraft.
- This statement is correct. Carbon fibers are lightweight, high-strength fibers that are commonly used in the aerospace and automotive industries. They are used to make components such as fuselages, wings, body panels, and structural parts in aircraft and automobiles.
- Carbon fibers once used cannot be recycled.
- This statement is incorrect. Carbon fibers can be recycled, although the process is more complex compared to recycling other materials. Methods such as pyrolysis or chemical processes can be used to break down and extract the carbon fibers from the composite material, allowing them to be reused or incorporated into new products.
Therefore, statement 1 is correct, while statement 2 is incorrect. The correct answer is (a) 1 only.