Focus: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Recently, the Ministry of Electronics and IT conducted a brainstorming session with Researchers and Start-ups aimed to shape strategy for Digital India BHASHINI [BHASHa INterface for India].
About Digital India BHASHINI
- Digital India BHASHINI is India’s Artificial Intelligence (AI) led language translation platform.
- A Bhashini Platform will make Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) resources available to MSME (Medium, Small and Micro Enterprises), Startups and Individual Innovators in the public domain.
- Bhashini Platform is a part of the National Language Translation Mission.
- The mission aims to ensure that as more Indians connect to the internet, they are able to access global content in their own languages.
- It will empower Indian citizens by connecting them to the Digital Initiatives of the country in their own language thereby leading to digital inclusion.
- It will also encourage participation of startups.
- Mission will create and nurture an ecosystem involving Central/State government agencies and start-ups, working together to develop and deploy innovative products and services in Indian languages.
- It is a giant step to realize the goal of Digital Government.
- It also aims to increase the content in Indian languages on the Internet substantially in the domains of public interest, particularly, governance-and-policy, science & technology, etc., thus will encourage citizens to use the Internet in their own language.