Why in News?
- The Election Commission has launched a new online tracking system for political parties, which will allow them to track their registration applications submitted to the poll panel on a real-time basis.
- The new system, Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System (PPRTMS), will apply for parties registering from January 1, 2020.
What is it?
- The Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System will enable tracking of the status of the application by applicants.
- The applicant has to provide a relevant contact number and email address in the application to track its progress. The status update will be sent via text message and email.
Relevant law for political party registration?
- The registration of political parties is governed under the provisions of section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
Under the act, a party is eligible to get registered as “National Political Party of India” only if it satisfies following criteria:
- The party should secure at least 6% of votes in four or more states at an election to assembly or parliament
- Also, the party should win at least four seats in House of People
- A party is eligible to get registered as “State Political Party” if it satisfies the following criteria
- The party should win 6% of votes polled in state elections it should win at least 2 seats in legislative assembly of the state.