Editorials/Opinions Analysis For UPSC 23 September 2022
- Approach to the death penalty: resolving differences between judgments
- The Draft Telecom Bill
- The Supreme Court recently referred issues concerning procedural norms for imposing the death penalty to a larger Bench.
- The intervention is viewed as a significant step toward closing gaps in the way trial courts award the death penalty.
- This current trajectory of judicial thought will reaffirm the fundamentals of the rarest of rare principles and usher in a new wave of thinking in capital punishment jurisprudence.
GS Paper 2: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures.
According to some, “capital punishment provides neither justice nor deterrence against any crime.” Do you concur? Justify your response. (250 Words)
Click Here To Read More: Approach To The Death Penalty: Resolving Differences Between Judgments
- The Union government has released a draft of ‘The Indian Telecommunication Bill, 2022,’ in which several significant changes are proposed.
- These modifications include provisions for waiving dues for financially stressed operators and bringing over-the-top platforms (such as WhatsApp, Zoom, and Netflix) under the purview of telecom services.
GS Paper – 2: Government Policies & Interventions, GS Paper – 3: Infrastructure
What are the challenges that the Indian telecom sector is facing? Discuss. Also, suggest what should be done to overcome these obstacles. (150 words)
Click Here To Read More: The Draft Telecom Bill