Focus: GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Recently, the Union Ministry of Electronics & IT launched the ERSO Pilot initiative to validate certain transformational policy and process changes to make India the Repair Capital of the World.
About Electronics Repair Services Outsourcing (ERSO) initiative:
Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Electronics & IT.
- The initiative aims to position India as a hub for repairing electronic goods and aims to capture 20% of the global repair service market within five years.
- The pilot program for ERSO is being conducted in Bengaluru and will run for a duration of three months.
- India’s e-waste policy will be modified to allow repair companies to domestically recycle 5% of imported goods by weight on a trial basis.
- The repaired goods will not be allowed to be sold in the domestic market.
- New provisions will be introduced to facilitate the export of repaired goods to regions other than their country of origin.