Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
The Indian Air Force (IAF) is taking part in Exercise Shinyuu Maitri with the Japan Air Self Defence Force (JASDF).
Exercise Shinyuu Maitri
- The exercise is being conducted alongside the Indo-Japan Joint Army Exercise, Dharma Guardian, which is taking place from 13 February 2023 to 02 March 2023 in Komatsu, Japan.
- The IAF is participating with a contingent consisting of one C-17 Globemaster III aircraft.
- The exercise is divided into two phases.
- The first phase involves discussions on transport operations and tactical manoeuvring.
- The second phase consists of flying drills with the IAF’s C-17 and JASDF C-2 transport aircraft.
- The exercise provides an opportunity for subject matter experts to interact and study each other’s operational philosophies and best practices.
- It will also enhance mutual understanding and interoperability between the IAF and the JASDF.
Importance of Exercise Shinyuu Maitri 23
- Exercise Shinyuu Maitri 23 marks another step in the expanding defence cooperation between India and Japan. It also provides the IAF with the opportunity to operate in diverse environments across the globe.
- It is worth noting that the exercise is taking place at the same time as the IAF’s heavy lift transport aircraft fleet is participating in Exercise Desert Flag VIII in the UAE and Exercise Cobra Warrior in the UK.