Focus: GS II- Government policies and Interventions
Why in News?
The Union Minister for Communications, Electronics & IT recently launched the “GatiShakti Sanchar” portal.
About GatiShakti Sanchar portal:
- This will provide a robust mechanism to achieve the goal of “Broadband for All” as envisaged in the National Digital Communication Policy-2.
- It aims to provide for Centralised Right of Way (RoW) approvals.
- The portal will enable applicants form various Telecom Service providers (TSPs) as well as Infrastructure providers (IPs) to apply at a common single portal for Right of Way permissions to lay down Optical Fibre Cable and for erecting mobile towers to State/UT Governments and local bodies.
- As it smoothens the process of RoW permissions as well as faster approvals; it is believed to facilitate easy rollout of 5G services, in which a Base Transceiver Station (BTS) is installed at very short intervals.
- For effective monitoring of RoW applications across the country, the portal even comes fitted with a potent dashboard showing State and District wise pendency status.
- Government of India is committed to facilitate “Ease of Doing Business” and the launch of the “GatiShakti Sanchar” portal is another step in that direction. The portal will also bring an array of advantages to the Government Bodies- both Central and State/UT. It will smoothen the RoW approval process, which will lead to:
- Fast laying of more Optical Fiber Cable and thus will accelerate fiberization
- Increased tower density which will enhance connectivity and improve the quality of various telecom services
- Increased fiberization of telecom towers, thus ensuring better Broadband speed, across the country