The United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) has launched the Green Fins Hub, a global digital platform to give sustainable marine tourism a ‘major boost’.
GS III: Environment and Ecology
Dimensions of the Article:
- Green Fins Hub
- Membership of Green Fins Hub
Green Fins Hub
- The Green Fins Global Hub will be a first-of-its-kind online support system to motivate scuba operators to improve their daily environmental practices at scale.
- It aims to help diving and snorkeling operators worldwide to make simple, cost-efficient changes to their daily practices by utilizing tried and tested solutions.
- It would also help them keep track of their annual improvements and communicate with their communities and customers.
Membership of Green Fins Hub
- It will host two types of membership. One would be digital membership available for diving, snorkelling and liveaboard operations globally.
- Throughout every year of membership, operators will receive environmental scores based on a detailed online self-evaluation and progress made on their action plans.
- The Certified Members will continue to be assessed annually and trained in person at their operation.
- The platform will be for operators around the world to raise industry needs, discuss environmental issues and share lessons and ideas with like-minded industry leaders, non-profits and governments.
-Source: Down to earth