Why in news?
In the joint working group meeting of the Sustainable Growth Pillar of the India-US partnership, an India Energy Modeling Forum was launched
India Energy Modeling Forum (IEMF)
- The IEMF seeks to provide a platform for policy makers to study important energy and environmental issues and ensure induction of modelling and analysis in informed decision making process.
- The Forum aims to improve cooperation and coordination between modeling teams,
What is Energy Modelling?
- Energy modeling or energy system modeling is the process of building computer models of energy systems in order to analyze them.
- There exists energy modelling forums in different parts of the World.
- Such models often employ scenario analysis to investigate different assumptions about the technical and economic conditions at play.
- Outputs may include the system feasibility, greenhouse gas emissions, cumulative financial costs, natural resource use, and energy efficiency of the system under investigation.
- Governments maintain national energy models for energy policy development.
Outcomes of the forum
- Discussions on energy modelling in India and the world explored how energy modelling can play an important role in decision-making.
- The forum focused on bridging the rural-urban divide and factoring in energy pressures from the informal economy within models.
- Deliberations included a spotlight on how the impact of the evolving character of India’s cities, industries and especially the transport sector should be included in the any India-centric models.
- The shift towards electric mobility, an increasing emphasis on mainstreaming of renewable energy options and overarching environmental concerns were also stated as key factors for determining India’s energy future.