Why in news?
India has pledged in COP-21 that we will bring down energy intensity of economy by 33 to 35% compared to 2005 levels by 2030. Now, with our energy efficiency initiatives India has already reduced the energy intensity of economy by 20% compared to 2005 levels
The findings of the report reflect that implementation of various energy efficiency schemes have led to total electricity savings to the tune of 113.16 Billion Units in 2018-19, which is 9.39% of the net electricity consumption.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency:
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) was established in March 2002, as a statutory body by the Government of India under the Energy Conservation Act 2001.
- It is responsible for spearheading the improvement of energy efficiency of the economy through various regulatory and promotional instruments.
- The primary goal of BEE is to reduce the energy intensity in the Indian economy.
BEE- Star Rating Programme
The Star Labelling Programs has been formulated by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) for improving energy efficiency and lowering energy cost of appliances/equipment for the consumers.
What is BEE Star Rating?
- Energy ‘labelling’ is one of the most cost effective policy tools for improving energy efficiency and lowering energy cost of appliances/equipment for the consumers.
- Star ratings are provided to all the major kind of appliances in the form of labels.
- These star ratings are given between 1- 5 and they provide a basic sense of how energy efficient each product is, just in a single glance.
- The manufacturers are officially required to put these labels as per the Standards and Labelling Program introduced in 2006.
- Appliances which need to have an energy rating label mandatorily: Frost-free refrigerator, Tubular Fluorescent Lamps, Room Air-Conditioners, Distribution Transformer, Colour TV, CST AC, Direct Cool Refrigerator and Electric Geyser.
- BEE expanded the coverage of its star labelling programme by including energy efficient Deep freezer and Light Commercial Air Conditioners (LCAC). With this inclusion BEE will cover 26 appliances.
- Deep freezer and Light Commercial Air Conditioners (LCAC) are major energy guzzlers in commercial space.
Share this artic