Focus: GS-III Environment and Ecology
Why in news?
Indian Railways has solarised more than 960 stations till August 2020.
- In order to achieve its objective of becoming 100% self-sustainable for all its power needs and also to contribute to national solar power goals – Indian Railways has solarised more than 960 stations and orders have been placed for solar rooftops at 550 stations which are under execution.
- Indian Railways had recently organised a meet of leading solar power developers who had shared their expectations of being partners in the journey of Indian Railways to become “net zero carbon emitter” before 2030.
- Indian Railways is set to produce solar energy for meeting all its energy consumption needs of more than 33 billion units by 2030.
- About 51,000-hectare vacant land available with Indian Railways and is now ready to extend all support to the developers for installing solar power plants on Railway’s vacant un-encroached land.
- It may be noted that Railways is also set to achieve 100% electrification by the year 2023.
- The use of solar power will accelerate the Railways’ mission to achieve the goal of becoming ‘Net Zero Carbon Emission Railway’.