Why in news?
The First 12000 HP made in India Locomotive, manufactured by Madhepura Electric Loco Factory situated in Bihar, was put into operation by Indian Railways.
- It is the first time, high horse power locomotive has been operationalised on broad gauge track in the world.
- Proud moment for Indian Railways, as it became 6th country in the world to join the elite club of producing high horse power locomotive indigenously.
- The locomotive has been produced under Make in India programme.
Details and Advantages of the Project
- The loco is named WAG12 and is a state of art IGBT based, 3 phase drive, 9000 KW (12000 horse power) electric locomotive.
- Madhepura Electric Locomotive Pvt. Ltd. (MELPL) will manufacture 800 State of the Art 12000 HP Electric Freight Locomotives in 11 years and being one of the most power full electric locomotive in the world will increase the speed of freight trains and will allow faster, safer and heavier freight trains to move across the country, thus reducing congestion in traffic.
- It will also lead to considerable savings in energy consumption through re-generative braking.
- The project will create more than 10,000 direct and indirect jobs in the country.
- As part of CSR initiative skill centres are being set up in Madhepura to impart training to local people.