Recently, the Minister of State, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, unveiled five transformative initiatives for persons with Disabilities at the Dr. Ambedkar International Centre (DAIC).
GS II: Government policies and Intiatives
Key Initiatives in the Disability Sector:
MOU with Council of Architecture:
- Collaboration between DEPwD and COA to introduce universal accessibility courses in Bachelor of Architecture programs.
- Development of a certified course for architects and civil engineers to conduct accessibility audits in built environments, ensuring compliance with accessibility standards.
Release of Anonymous Data of UDID:
- DEPwD’s release of anonymous data through the Unique Disability ID (UDID) portal for research purposes.
- Enhancing data-driven decision-making in the disability sector and providing insights for targeted interventions.
PM Daksh Portal:
- A comprehensive digital platform empowering Persons with Disabilities in skill training and employment opportunities.
- Features include seamless registration through UDID, access to location-based skill training options, job listings from across India, and streamlined administrative processes.
Pathways to Access:
- Courts on Disability Rights: Compilation of significant judgments from India’s Supreme Court and High Courts regarding disability rights into a comprehensive booklet.
- Serves as a valuable reference guide for persons with disabilities and stakeholders in the disability sector.
Online Case Monitoring Portal by CCPD:
- Adoption of a cutting-edge application by the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD) to handle grievances filed by persons with disabilities.
- Streamlines the process, making it paperless and efficient, with features like online complaint filing, automated reminders, and simplified hearing scheduling.