Focus: GS II- Important International institutions.
Why in News?
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs celebrated International Customs Day, 2023
International Customs Day, 2023:
- Theme of International Customs Day, 2023 is ‘Nurturing the next generation: Promoting a culture of knowledge-sharing and professional pride in Customs’ which is set with an aim to increase a sense of belonging to the world’s Customs community.
- January 26 marks the celebration of International Customs Day (ICD) all across the world with the United Nations as the host.
- It is an annual event that is meant to acknowledge and appreciate the role that customs officials and agencies play in ensuring the smooth flow of goods across the world borders.
- The endeavour is to emphasise the working conditions and challenges that customs officers face in their jobs.
About World Customs Organization
- The World Customs Organization is an inter-governmental organization headquartered in Brussels, Belgium.
- WPO is noted for its work in areas covering international conferences, equipment, and equipment development, commodity classification, evaluation, collection of rules of origin, customs revenue, and other topics.
- The WTO takes account of the naming of International Relevant System (HS) goods, the technical aspects of the Trade Organisation (WTO), customs assessment, and rules of origin.
- The WCO’s primary objective is to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of member customs administrations, thereby assisting them to contribute successfully to national development goals, particularly revenue collection, national security, trade facilitation, community protection, and collection of trade statistics.