Why in news?
- The Union Home Minister chaired the sixth meeting of the Island Development Agency (IDA) and reviewed the progress made towards the programme “Holistic development of islands”
- For the first time initiative of sustainable development in the identified Islands within scientifically-assessed carrying capacity has been taken-up.
- Development Plans with focus on creation of jobs for the islanders through tourism promotion as well as export of seafood and coconut-based products made in the Islands have been prepared and are being implemented in four islands of Andaman & Nicobar and five islands of Lakshadweep
More about IDA
- Island Development agency (IDA) was constituted in 2017 for the holistic development of islands.
- To undertake holistic development in the project after giving due consideration to unique maritime and territorial bio-diversity of the islands.
- IDA is chaired by Union Home minister.