Focus: GS-II Governance
Why in news?
Launched in 2019, in 7 months of implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in 2019-20, around 85 lakh rural households were provided with tap connections.
Details of the progress so far:
- Amidst CoVID-19 pandemic, about 55 lakh tap connections have been provided so far in the year 2020-21.
- Already, as of July 2020 7 States viz. Bihar, Telangana, Maharashtra, Haryana, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh and Mizoram have achieved more than 10% of the target household tap connections they had fixed for themselves.
- States like Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Odisha and Manipur have shown good progress during the corresponding period.
- This shows the commitment of the States to provide the basic services to the people residing in rural areas under Jal Jeevan Mission, as well as the speed and scale with which the States are making efforts to provide tap connections.
- Out of close to 20 Crore rural households in the country almost 25% households are already provided tap connections.
- The Objective is to cover about the remaining 15 crore households in a time-bound manner while ensuring the functionality of all tap connections.
- The Ministry of Jal Shakti has been implementing Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) in partnership with States with an aim to provide potable water in adequate quantity of prescribed quality on regular and long-term basis through tap connections to every rural household in the country by 2024.
- Various States/ UTs have committed to achieve the goal of the Mission well before 2024.