Focus: GS-II Governance
Why in news?
- In the last hearing, the court asked the Centre to explain whether 4G network could be restored in select areas of Jammu and Kashmir where there was no trouble.
- Attorney General informed the Supreme Court that 4G Internet access will be opened up after Independence Day in one district in each of Jammu and Kashmir’s divisions.
- The “carefully calibrated” opening up of 4G access would be on a trial basis.
- The Centre, however, said a blanket removal of the 4G ban was not possible now, considering the “overall situation” and “threat perception” to national, border and local security.
- The access will be limited to specified areas that are not adjacent to the international border and have seen “low intensity terrorist activities”.
- Access will be strictly monitored to protect national, border and local security.
-Source: The Hindu