The Indian Army recently ordered 100 additional K9 Vajra self-propelled howitzers.
GS III: Science and Technology, Facts for Prelims
About K-9 Vajra-T howitzers
- K-9 Vajra-T howitzers is a self-propelled artillery system that has been developed in India.
- Caliber and construction: It is a 155 mm, 52-caliber tracked self-propelled artillery system with all-welded steel armor up to 19mm thick.
- Main weapon: The main weapon of the K-9 Vajra-T howitzer is a 155mm / 52 calibre gun with a range of 40 km.
- Rate of fire: It has a burst rate of fire of three rounds per 15 seconds and a maximum rate of fire of six to eight rounds a minute for three minutes.
- Digital fire control system: The K-9 Vajra-T howitzer uses a digital fire control system, which allows it to fire multiple rounds that can impact a given area at the same time.
- The K-9 Vajra-T howitzer was built by Larsen & Toubro with technology transferred from South Korean defence major Hanwha Defense based on its K9 Thunder.