Why in news?
- Group of envoys on a guided tour of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), has triggered the debate over sovereignty of India.
- Clearly, the government, which has been under considerable international pressure to lift restrictions in the former State, has managed to arrange these three visits without any incident.
- The delegations have been taken to meet with local groups, and shown a glimpse of ‘normalcy’ in the Kashmir Valley, with shops open, people out on the streets, and boating on the Dal Lake.
- The chimera of ‘normalcy’ seems patently fragile.
- The visit had to be postponed by a day due to a bandh call in the Valley; and just a day after the visit, the Internet was snapped once again due to security concerns.