Focus: GS-III Environment and Ecology
Why in news?
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) launched a series of advisories under the title ‘Saving Biodiversity through Effective Waste Management’.
The three key advisories released included:
- Advisory on Material Recovery Facilities (MRFs) for Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
- Advisory on Landfill Reclamation
- Consultative Document (draft) on On-site and Off-site Sewage Management Practices
The Ministry also released a toolkit for a communication campaign on faecal sludge management titled‘Malasur- The Demon of Defeca’ which aims to heighten the risk perception of faecal sludge.
Success of Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U)
- SBM-U was launched with a twin objective of making urban India Open defecation Free along with 100% scientific solid waste management.
- Almost all urban India is now Open-Defecation-Free (ODF).
- Scientific processing of solid waste, which stood at less than 20% at the start of the Mission in 2014, has more than tripled and now stands at 65%.