Focus: GS II- Government policies and Interventions
Why in News?
The Government has formulated a National Action Plan for Mechanized Sanitation Ecosystem- NAMASTE scheme for cleaning of sewers and septic tank.
- The scheme is a joint venture of Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- It aims to achieve outcomes like:
- Zero fatalities in sanitation work in India
- No sanitation workers come in direct contact with human faecal matter
- All Sewer and Septic tank sanitation workers have access to alternative livelihoods
- The Ministry has shortlisted type of machineries and core equipments required for maintenance works, safety gear for Safai Mitras.