Focus: GS III: Environment and Ecology
Why in News?
National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated every year on 14th December 2022.
About Energy Conservation Day
- The National Energy Conservation Day is organized on 14th December every year by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) with an aim to showcase India’s achievements in energy efficiency and conservation.
- The first time the awards were given away was on 14th December, 1991.
- Since then, the day has been declared as National Energy Conservation Day.
- These awards are given away by eminent dignitaries at a function organised every year on the same day.
- The day focuses on making people aware of global warming and climate change and promotes efforts towards saving energy resources. It also highlights the achievements of the country in the fields of energy efficiency and conservation.
About EV Yatra Web Portal and Mobile App
- The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) in its capacity as the Central Nodal Agency has developed a Mobile Application to facilitate navigation to the nearest public EV charging Station, and a website to disseminate information on various central and state-level initiatives to promote e-mobility in the country .
About NECA And NEEIA Awards
- The National Energy Conservation Awards (NECA) are given to the industrial units of various sectors of the Indian economy for their exceptional achievements in energy savings .
- The National Energy Efficiency Innovation Awards (NEEIA)were conceptualised to boost Energy Efficiency through innovative measures.
- The event was organised with an aim to promote Energy Efficiency & its conservation and to reduce Energy Intensity among all the sectors of Indian Economy.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency
- The BEE is a statutory body established through the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 under the Union Ministry of Power.
- It assists in developing policies and strategies with the primary objective of reducing the energy intensity of the Indian economy.
- BEE coordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies, and other organizations to identify and utilize the existing resources and infrastructure, in performing its functions.