Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has come up with a set of guidelines to streamline foundation stone laying ceremonies and inauguration functions of national highway projects.
About National Highways Authority of India (NHAI):
NHAI is the premier organization in India responsible for the development, maintenance, and management of National Highways. Here are some key facts about NHAI:
- NHAI was established in February 1995 under the National Highways Authority of India Act, 1988.
- It is a statutory body under the administrative control of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- NHAI consists of a full-time Chairman and not more than five full-time members and four part-time members who are appointed by the Central Government.
- The part-time members are the Secretary (RT&H), Secretary (Expenditure), Secretary (Planning), and DG (RD) & SS.
- NHAI has several wings at its headquarters, including technical, finance, administrative, and vigilance wings.