Focus: GS-II Governance
Why in news?
- In a first ever virtual presentation of awards, the President of India gave away the National Sports and Adventure Awards, 2020.
- The Sports Minister announced the enhancement of the prize money in four of the seven categories of the National Sports and Adventure Awards.
- A twelve-member committee evaluates the performances of a sportsperson at various levels and submits their recommendations to the Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports for further approval.
- The main objectives of the award are motivation and social recognition of a sports person.
National Sports and Adventure Awards
National Sports Awards are given every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports.
It comprises the following awards:
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna: It is the Highest Sporting Honour of India. It was instituted in 1991–92. The recipient(s) is/are honoured for their outstanding performance in the field of sports over a period of four years at international level.
- Dronacharya Awards: It was instituted in 1985 to honour eminent Coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious International sports events.
- Arjuna awards: It was instituted in 1961. To be eligible for the Award, a sportsperson should have had not only good performance over the previous four years at the International level but also should have shown qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and a sense of discipline.
- Dhyan Chand Award: It was instituted in 2002. It is an award for life-time achievements in sports.
- Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award: It is the highest national recognition for outstanding achievements in the field of adventure on land, sea and air.
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy: It was instituted in 1956-57 to honour the top overall performing university in the Inter-University Tournaments.
- Rashtriya Khel Protsahana Purushkar: It was instituted from 2009 to recognize the corporate entities (both in private and public sector) and individuals who have played a visible role in the area of sports promotion and development.