Why in news?
India sent an amphibious warship, INS Airavat, to Madagascar in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) to help in rescue efforts after the island nation was hit by a cyclone.
As part of Operation Vanilla, the Navy delivered clothing, food and medicines, and also provided diving and communication assistance for evacuation
- In March 2019, the Navy deployed four warships for relief operations when Mozambique was hit by Cyclone Idai
- A few months later, the Navy sent two warships to Japan to assist in rescue efforts following Typhoon Hagibis
- Indian vessels had delivered urgent medical assistance to Sulawesi, Indonesia, after it was struck by a high-intensity earthquake. Operation Samudra Maitri was launched
- SAGAR – security and growth for all in the region is the strategy followed by india stressing its neighbourhood first policy
- Navy played a crucial role in the humanitarian crisis caused by Tsunami in 2004