Focus: GS-III Disaster Management
Why in news?
Cabinet Secretary chaired the second meeting of the National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC) to review the preparedness of States and Central Ministries/Agencies to deal with the Cyclonic Storm “Nisarga”.
Why was this necessary?
- India Meteorological Department (IMD) has stated that the Severe Cyclonic Storm is expected to impact the Maharashtra coast by the afternoon/evening of 3rd June.
- High wind speeds ranging up to 100-110 kmph gusting to 120 kmph are expected, accompanied by heavy rainfall and storm surges of 1-2 metres in the coastal districts of the State.
What is being done now?
- NDRF has deployed 40 teams in the States and UT and additional teams are also been airlifted.
- Rescue and relief teams of the Army and Navy along with ships and aircrafts of the Navy and Air Force have been put on standby.
- Ships of the Coast Guard are already engaged in rescuing fishermen at sea.