Focus: GS-I Art and Culture
Why in news?
Nepal’s Department of Archaeology is holding cross-ministerial meetings to explore an archaeological site in Thori near the border town of Birgunj.
- Nepalese historian said that according to the geographical descriptions in Valmiki’s Ramayana, it appears that Lord Ram’s Ayodhya was located nearer to Janakpur.
- Nepal’s foreign ministry claimed that Mr. Oli’s comments were not aimed to hurt anyone’s sentiment.
- Thori is known to have a cluster of ancient Hindu religious sites that draw pilgrims from different parts of Nepal.
Recently in News: Birthplace of Ram
- Ramjanmabhumi-Babri Masjid: The Ayodhya dispute was a political, historical, and socio-religious debate in India, centered on a plot of land in the city of Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh.
- The issues revolve around the control of a site traditionally regarded among Hindus to be the birthplace of their deity Rama, the history and location of the Babri Masjid at the site, and whether a previous Hindu temple was demolished or modified to create a mosque.
- The mosque there, the Babri Masjid, was demolished during a political rally which turned into a riot in 1992.
- The first recorded instances of religious violence in Ayodhya occurred in the 1850s over a nearby mosque at Hanuman Garhi. The Babri mosque was attacked in the process.
-Source: The Hindu