Researchers from University of Delhi have named a newly-discovered frog species as Minervarya Pentali.
Prelims, GS-III: Environment and Ecology (Species in News)
Dimensions of the Article:
- About the new frog species discovered
About the new frog species discovered
- The new frog species named Minervarya Pentali belongs to the family of Dicroglossidae which comprises of over 200 species of semiaquatic frogs.
- Minervarya Pentali was discovered from the Western Ghats biodiversity hotspot, extending along the southwest coast of the Indian Peninsula.
- This new species is endemic to the southern Western Ghats.
- This species is also among the smallest known Minervarya (genus) frogs.
-Source: The Hindu