Focus: GS-II Social Justice
Why in news?
According to the National Statistical Organisation’s (NSO) latest report on education – One in three high schoolers gets private coaching and the fees for that make up for almost 20% of their total cost of education.
- One in five students in India supplements school education with private coaching, including almost one in three at the secondary school level or Classes 9 and 10.
- Private coaching fees make up almost 20% of the total cost of education for those in secondary and higher secondary school.
- In some States, such as West Bengal, students actually spend more on private coaching than on their regular school.
- In the 75th round of the National Sample Survey on consumption related to education – it shows that 19.8% of students at all levels — from pre-primary to graduate students — take some form of private coaching. Among Class 9 and 10 students, starting to prepare for the crucial board exams and admission tests, more than 30% do so.
- Among these secondary school students, those from the cities and upper castes are able to access private coaching at far higher levels.
- More than 52% of urban upper caste boys take coaching, in comparison to just 13.7% of rural boys and girls from scheduled tribe communities.
-Source: The Hindu