Focus: GS III- Environment and Ecology
Why in News?
Recently, National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC Ltd.) has issued a renewed Biodiversity Policy 2022 to establish a comprehensive vision and guiding principle for conservation, restoration, and enhancement of biodiversity.
Objectives of the Policy
Support Professionals in Achieving Biodiversity Targets:
- The policy is designed to assist all NTPC Group professionals in contributing to the achievement of the targets set in this field.
- NTPC has always been conscious of avoiding operations in areas with the highest biodiversity value and judiciously selecting project sites.
Mainstreaming the Concept of Biodiversity:
- The fundamental goal is to integrate biodiversity into the NTPC value chain.
- It also seeks to use a cautious approach to biodiversity management in all decision-making processes to ensure the Earth’s diversity of life in and around NTPC’s business units.
Dealing with Local Threats:
- The policy also aims to adopt systematic consideration of local threats to biodiversity beyond the company’s business activities.
National Thermal Power Corporation
- It is an Indian statutory corporation engaged in the generation of electricity and allied activities.
- It is incorporated under the Companies Act 1956 and is under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Power.
- NTPC Ltd. is a central Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the Ministry of Power.
- It is India’s largest energy conglomerate with roots planted way back in 1975 to accelerate power development in India.
- Aim: To provide reliable power and related solutions in an economical, efficient and environment-friendly manner, driven by innovation and agility.
- It became a Maharatna company in May 2010.
- It is located in New Delhi.