Focus: GS-II Governance
Why in News?
Online nominations/recommendations for the Padma Awards 2023 to be announced on the occasion of Republic Day, 2023 have opened on 1st May, 2022. The last date for nominations for Padma Awards is 15th September, 2022.
- The nominations/recommendations for Padma Awards will be received online only on the Rashtriya Puruskar Portal
The Padma Awards
- The Padma Awards are announced annually on the eve of Republic Day (26th January).
- There are 3 Padma Awards:
- Padma Vibhushan (for exceptional and distinguished service),
- Padma Bhushan (distinguished service of higher-order) and
- Padma Shri (distinguished service).
- The Awards are given in various disciplines/ fields of activities, viz.- art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc.
- The Awards are conferred on the recommendations made by the Padma Awards Committee, which is constituted by the Prime Minister every year.
- The total number of awards to be given in a year (excluding posthumous awards and to NRI/foreigners/OCIs) should not be more than 120.
Is it a title?
- The award does not amount to a title and cannot be used as a suffix or prefix to the awardees’ name.
- Article 18 clause 1- Abolishes titles and makes four provisions in that regard: It prohibits the state from conferring any title (except a military or academic distinction) on anybody, whether a citizen or a foreigner.
- Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of the country.
- Bharat Ratna is awarded in recognition of exceptional service/performance of the highest order in any field of human endeavour.
- Recommendations for Bharat Ratna are made by the Prime Minister to the President of India.
- Only 3 Bharat Ratna Awards can be given in a year.
- Bharat Ratna- 1st degree of honour
- Padma Vibhushan- 2nd degree of honour
- Padma Bhushan- 3rd degree of honour
- Padma Shri- 4th degree of honour