- NEW MINISTRY OF CO-OPERATION
- MISHRI VARIETY OF CHERRY
- MATSYA SETU
NEW MINISTRY OF CO-OPERATION
Focus: GS II- Governance
Why in News ?
A separate Ministry of Co-operation has been created by the Government for realizing the vision of Sahkar se Samriddhi (prosperity through cooperatives).
- This ministry will provide a separate administrative, legal and policy framework for strengthening the cooperative movement in the country.
- It will help deepen Co-operatives as a true people based movement reaching upto the grassroots.
- In India a Co-operative based economic development model is very relevant where each member works with a spirit of responsibility.
- The Ministry will work to streamline processes for Ease of doing business for co-operatives and enable development of Multi-State Co-operatives (MSCS).
- Creation of a separate Ministry for Co-operation also fulfils the budget announcement made by the Finance Minister.
- The Ministries/Departments of the Government are created by the President on the advice of the Prime Minister.
MISHRI VARIETY OF CHERRY
Focus: GS II- Agriculture
Why in News ?
Step towards boosting horticultural crops exports a first commercial shipment of Mishri variety of luscious cherries from Kashmir valley has been exported to Dubai recently.
- APEDA assisted the shipment of cherries to Dubai.
- Provide huge opportunities for exports of several temperate fruits like plums, pears, apricot and apples from Kashmir to especially to middle east countries in the forthcoming seasons.
- APEDA has also initiated awareness programme on National Programme on Organic Production and ISO-17065 requirements for the officials of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir for ensuring exports of quality agricultural produce.
Mishri variety of Cherries
- Contain vitamins, minerals and plant compound with health benefits.
- Jammu and Kashmir produces more than 95% of the total country’s production of commercial varieties of cherries in the country.
Nodal: Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act, 1985.
- The Authority has its headquarters in New Delhi.
- A Chairman is appointed by the Central Government.
- APEDA is mandated with the responsibility of export promotion and development of the scheduled products viz. fruits, vegetables and their products; meat and meat products; poultry and poultry products; dairy products; confectionery, biscuits and bakery products; honey, jaggery and sugar products; cocoa and its products, chocolates of all kinds; alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages; cereal and cereal products; groundnuts, peanuts and walnuts, pickles, papads and chutneys; guar gum; floriculture and floriculture products; herbal and medicinal plants.
- APEDA has been entrusted with the responsibility to monitor import of sugar.
- Registration of persons as exporters of the scheduled products and fixing of standards and specifications for the scheduled products for the purpose of exports.
- Carrying out inspection of meat and meat products in slaughterhouses, processing plants, storage premises and improving packaging of the scheduled products.
Focus: Facts for prelims
Why in News?
Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Shri Giriraj Singh launched the Online Course Mobile App “Matsya Setu” for Fish Farmers.
About Matsya Setu App:
- The app was developed by the ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture (ICAR-CIFA), Bhubaneswar, with the funding support of the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB), Hyderabad.
- The online course app aims to disseminate the latest freshwater aquaculture technologies to the aqua farmers of the country.
- Matsya Setu app has species-wise/ subject-wise self-learning online course modules, where renowned aquaculture experts explain the basic concepts and practical demonstrations on breeding, seed production and grow-out culture of commercially important fishes like carp, catfish, scampi, murrel, ornamental fish, pearl farming etc.