- NTPC wins CII-ITC Award
- Nanoparticle to reduce rheumatoid arthritis
Why in news?
NTPC Ltd, a central PSU under Ministry of Power and India’s largest power generation company, has won the prestigious CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2019, under Outstanding Accomplishment in Corporate Excellence Category.
- NTPC always strives for sustainable development of its communities around the power stations.
- Its flagship CSR program GEM (Girl Empowerment Mission), a 4 weeks residential program has been institutionalized in the vicinity of its power stations for benefit of school going girls from underprivileged background to support in their overall development.
What is Corporate Social Responsibility?
- The term “Corporate Social Responsibility” is a corporate initiative to assess and take responsibility for the company’s effects on the environment and impact on social welfare.
- In India, the concept of CSR is governed by the Companies Act, 2013.
- India is the first country in the world to mandate CSR spending along with a framework to identify potential CSR activities.
- The CSR provisions within the Act is applicable to companies with an annual turnover of 1,000 crore and more, or a net worth of Rs. 500 crore and more, or a net profit of Rs. 5 crore and more
- The Act requires companies to set up a CSR committee which shall recommend a Corporate Social Responsibility Policy to the Board of Directors.
- The Act encourages companies to spend 2% of their average net profit in the previous three years on CSR activities
Why in news?
Scientists from the Institute of Nano Science & Technology (INST), Mohali, an autonomous institute of the Department of Science and Technology Government of India, have formulated nanoparticles with chitosan and loaded these nanoparticles with zinc gluconate for reducing the severity of rheumatoid arthritis
Effect of zinc
Element Zinc is vital for maintaining normal bone homeostasis, and its levels are reported to get reduced in rheumatoid arthritis patients and arthritis-induced animals
What is Rheumatorid Arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a long-term autoimmune disorder that primarily affects joints.
- It typically results in warm, swollen, and painful joints. Pain and stiffness often worsen following rest.
Diagnosis is made by clinical examination from an appropriate health professional, and may be supported by other tests such as radiology and blood tests, depending on the type of suspected arthritis.