- Initiatives under National Food Security Mission (NFSM)
INITIATIVES UNDER NATIONAL FOOD SECURITY MISSION (NFSM)
To achieve the objective of “harkhetkopani” & “Per Drop More Crop”, more than 2.5 lakh pump sets, 1.2 lakh sprinklers and around 764 lakh metres of water carrying pipes were distributed under NFSM from 2014-15 to 2019-2020 according to information provided by Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare.
GS-II: Social Justice, Polity and Governance
Dimensions of the Article:
- National Food Security Mission (NFSM)
- What is being done under NFSM?
- Sub-Components of NFSM
National Food Security Mission (NFSM)
National Food Security Mission (NFSM) was launched in 2007-08 to increase the production of rice, wheat and pulses through:
- Area expansion and productivity enhancement
- Restoring soil fertility and productivity
- Creating employment opportunities, and
- Enhancing farm level economy.
- Coarse cereals were included from 2014-15 under NFSM.
- The Mission was continued during 12th Five Year Plan with target of additional production of 25 million tonnes of food grains comprising of 10 million tonnes of rice, 8 million tonnes of wheat, 4 million tonnes of pulses and 3 million tonnes of coarse cereals by the end of XII Plan.
- Beyond the 12th Plan, the mission was continued with new additional targets of 13 million tonnes of food grains.
- Currently, NFSM is being implemented in identified districts of 28 States & 2 Union Territories (UTs) viz. Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) and Ladakh in the country.
What is being done under NFSM?
- Assistance is being provided to the farmers for organizing cluster demonstrations on improved package of practices, demonstrations on cropping system.
- Under the Mission, Seed distribution of HYVs, farm machineries/resources conservation machineries/tools, efficient water application tools, plant protection, nutrient management, cropping system-based trainings to the farmers etc., are provided.
- From the year, 2020-21, primary processing units/small storage bins/flexibility interventions have been added as per local requirements with the aim of increasing the income of the farmers.
- Focused attention for improving the seed replacement rate and varietal replacement is given in the Mission.
- To increase the seed replacement rate (SRR) of improved varieties of food grains – certified seeds of high yielding varieties/ hybrids of rice, wheat, pulses & coarse cereals are distributed under NFSM.
- The Mission has been able to achieve around 110 lakh ha area to be treated with Micronutrients, Bio-fertilizers, soil ameliorants/ (Gypsum/Lime/others).
Sub-Components of NFSM
- NFSM presently comprises of the following Sub-components
- National Food Security Mission – Rice (NFSM-Rice)
- National Food Security Mission – Wheat (NFSM-Wheat)
- National Food Security Mission – Pulses (NFSM-Pulses)
- National food Security Mission – Coarse cereals (NFSM-Coarse cereals)
- National Food Security Mission – Nutri cereals (NFSM- Nutri cereals)
- National Food Security Mission – Commercial crops (NFSM-Commercial crops)
- National Food Security Mission – Oilseeds and Oilpalm (NFSM-Oilseeds)
- National Food Security Mission – Seed village programme