- UNIFIED MOBILE APPLICATION FOR NEW-AGE GOVERNANCE (UMANG)
UNIFIED MOBILE APPLICATION FOR NEW-AGE GOVERNANCE (UMANG)
Focus: GS II- Governance
Why in News?
Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) has taken various initiatives in the recent past to ease the lives of citizens by facilitating online delivery of Government services.
- To further enhance the initiatives of Digital India Programme, and keeping in view the theme of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’, MeitY has enabled map services in “UMANG App ” through an MOU with MapmyIndia.
About UMANG App
- It is a unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app.
- It is a Digital India initiative of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) launched in 2017.
- It provides access to high impact services of various organizations of Centre and States. Presently it has 2000+ services.
- The aim of UMANG is to fast-track mobile governance in India.
- UMANG enables ‘Ease of Living’ for Citizens by providing easy access to a plethora of Indian government services ranging from – Healthcare, Finance, Education, Housing, Energy, Agriculture, Transport to even Utility and Employment and Skills.
- The key partners of UMANG are Employee Provident Fund Organization, Direct Benefit Transfer scheme departments, Employee State Insurance Corporation, Ministries of Health, Education, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Staff Selection Commission (SSC).
- UMANG attained ‘Best m-Government service’ award at the 6th World Government Summit held at Dubai, UAE in February 2018.
About features of UMANG App
- It provides seamless integration with popular customer centric services like Aadhaar and Digilocker.
- It provides a unified approach where one can install one application to avail multiple government services.
- It can be accessed on multiple channels like mobile application, web, and SMS which can be accessed through smartphones, tablets and desktops.
- It has a rich multimedia interface with a focus on maximizing usability and enriching user experience.
- The Services provided by the app are as follows
- It is a unified application that can be used to avail a number of pan India e-government services such as
- Filing income tax,
- Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) services,
- e- Patashala,
- e- Land Records,
- Crop Insurance etc.
- MapmyIndia, is a product of an indigenous, company founded and headquartered in New Delhi, India, in 1995, which has digitally mapped the entire country.
- It helps users find relevant places nearby and see them on detailed building level maps. MapmyIndia’s APIs enable app and technology developers to easily integrate India’s own, indigenous, Aatmanirbhar maps into their apps.