- Article 340 of the constitution
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM)
- India achieves complete phase out of one the most potent ozone depleting chemical
- Khadi fights back to prevent misuse of its Trademarks Internationally
- SERVICE -a scheme of SAIL to promote Voluntary Philanthropist Activities by its employees
ARTICLE 340 OF THE CONSTITUTION
Focus: Prelims/ Mains-Social justice, Governance
Why in news?
Cabinet approves Extension of tenure of the Commission constituted under Article 340
- The Commission headed by Justice (Retd.) Smt. G. Rohini was constituted under article 340 of the Constitution with the approval of President on 2nd October, 2017.
- The Communities in the existing list of OBCs which have not been able to get any major benefit of the scheme of reservation for OBCs are expected to be benefitted upon implementation of the recommendations of the Commission.
DEENDAYAL ANTYODAYA YOJANA – NATIONAL RURAL LIVELIHOODS MISSION (DAY-NRLM)
Why in news?
Ministry of Rural Development signs MoU with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation under DAY-NRLM
DAY – NRLM Mission
- “To reduce poverty by enabling the poor households to access gainful self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots institutions of the poor.”
For More in depth study, click here.
INDIA ACHIEVES COMPLETE PHASE OUT OF ONE THE MOST POTENT OZONE DEPLETING CHEMICAL
- India has successfully achieved the complete phase out of Hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC)-141 b, which is a chemical used by foam manufacturing enterprises and one of the most potent ozone depleting chemical after Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
- (HCFC)-141 b is used mainly as a blowing agent in the production of rigid polyurethane (PU) foams
- HCFC-141b is not produced in the country and all the domestic requirements are met through imports.
- With the notification prohibiting the import of HCFC-141 b, the country has completely phased out the important ozone depleting chemical
- Nearly, 50 % of the consumption of ozone depleting chemicals in the country was attributable to HCFC-141 b in the foam sector
- The phase out of HCFC-141b
from the country has twin environmental benefits viz.
- assisting the healing of the stratospheric ozone layer
- towards the climate change mitigation due to transitioning of foam manufacturing enterprises at this scale under HPMP to low global warming potential alternative technologies
KHADI FIGHTS BACK TO PREVENT MISUSE OF ITS TRADEMARKS INTERNATIONALLY
Why in news?
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has taken various initiatives for protection and promotion of Khadi as a brand in India and internationally
- They are the registered proprietors of over a hundred trademarks registrations including the symbol of ‘Charkha’ in India and other countries like Russia, China, Germany, Australia, UK and Bhutan
- In an initiative to prevent such misuse any further, KVIC has taken up the matter with the Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Commerce and Permanent Mission of India at UN, Geneva seeking International Trademark protection of symbol of ‘Charkha’ under the article 6ter of the Paris Convention.
- Article 6ter of the Paris Convention for the protection of Industrial property of 1883 (1967 Stockholm Act) protects armorial bearings, flags and other State emblems as well as official signs and hallmarks of the States party to the Paris Convention
- The signs published with World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) under this act are prevented from being registered or used as trademarks, across the world, without authorization
SERVICE- A SCHEME OF SAIL TO PROMOTE VOLUNTARY PHILANTHROPIST ACTIVITIES BY ITS EMPLOYEES
- The scheme called “SAIL Employee Rendering Voluntarism and Initiatives for Community Engagement (SERVICE)” will promote and facilitate philanthropist activities by the employees in a structured manner.
- This Scheme shall act as a platform for enabling faster interaction and communication amongst the various stakeholders
- SAIL will undertake mass mobilisation programmes in its plants and units to spread awareness about this scheme and to encourage employees to participate in VPS.