- Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- Mission COVID Suraksha
- Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS)
GURU NANAK DEV JI
Focus: GS 1 ; Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Why in News?
President’s Greetings on The Eve of Birthday of Guru Nanak
About Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- The Guru Nanak Dev Ji, also referred to as Baba Nanak, was the founder of Sikhism and is the first of the ten Sikh Gurus.
- His birth is celebrated worldwide as Guru Nanak Gurpurab on Katak Pooranmashi, i.e. October–November.
MISSION COVID SURAKSHA
Focus: GS 2; Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Why in News?
Government Launches Mission COVID Suraksha to accelerate Indian COVID-19 Vaccine Development
About Mission Covid Suraksha
- The government has launched ‘Mission COVID Suraksha’ to help accelerate the development of approximately 5-6 vaccine candidates and ensure that these are brought closer to licensure and introduction in the market, the Department of Biotechnology.
- The mission envisages COVID-19 vaccine development with end-to-end focus from preclinical through clinical development and manufacturing and regulatory facilitation, the DBT said.
- The Government of India (GOI) has announced the third stimulus package of Rs. 900 Crore for the Mission COVID Suraksha the Indian COVID-19 Vaccine Development Mission, as shown in the below attached image under Atmanirbhar Bharat 3.0 Package.
- This grant will be provided to the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) for research and development of Indian COVID-19 vaccines.
- This will help accelerate development of approximately five-six vaccine candidates and ensure that these are brought closer to licensure and introduction in the market for consideration of regulatory authorities for introduction in public health systems to combat further spread of COVID infection,” the DBT said.
- A total of 10 vaccine candidates have been supported by the DBT so far in both academia and industry.
- As on date, five vaccine candidates are in human trials, including the Russian Vaccine Sputnik-V, with at least three more in advanced stages of pre-clinical to enter human trials shortly and as shown in the below image of Phases of Vaccine Development.
- The other important objective will be supporting development of common harmonized protocols, training, data management systems, regulatory submissions, internal and external quality management systems and accreditations.
- The capabilities for process development, cell line development and manufacturing of GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) batches for animal toxicology studies and clinical trials will also be supported under the mission.
- A key element will be development of a suitable target product profile so that vaccines being introduced through the mission have preferred characteristics applicable for India.
TARGET OLYMPIC PODIUM SCHEME (TOPS)
Focus: GS 2;Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
Why in News?
Dutee Chand and KT Irfan included in TOPS Core group along with some promising young athletes in Development Group
About Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS)
- The Government of India launched the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) for the country’s promising junior athletes, with an aim to groom these young talents for medal glory at the 2024 and 2028 Olympics.
- The selected athletes will receive a monthly ‘Out Of Pocket’ allowance of Rs 25,000.
About Mission Olympic Cell (MOC)
- The Mission Olympic Cell is a dedicated body created to assist the athletes who are selected under the TOP Scheme. The MOC is under the Chairmanship of the Director General, Sports Authority (DG, SAI).
- The Committee meetings are attended by representatives of respective National Sports Federations (NSFs) and Project Officers of the SAI besides other members.
- The idea of the MOC is to debate, discuss and decide the processes and methods so that the athlete receives best assistance. The MOC also focuses on selection, exclusion and retention of athletes, coaches, training institutes that can receive TOPS assistance.
- Some of the functions that the MOC are enumerated below;-
- To approve customized programs for athletes chosen under the TOP Scheme.
- To recommend financial disbursement for the customized programs.
- To support, monitor and review progress of athletes in accordance with the training programs.
- To set a regular reporting structure on the athletes’ training program.
- To take decisions on sudden and unanticipated requirements/needs of athletes.
- To communicate regularly with the athletes on their progress, requirements and perspectives
- To engage implementation partner agencies to carry out/execute any or all the above functions.
- To ensure documentation/contractual obligations of beneficiaries.
- To deliver sponsor/commercial partner/media commitment under the NSDF TOP Scheme