- Broadcasting Infrastructure and Network Development Scheme
Focus: GS III- Health, Prelims
Why in News?
Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare chairs a high-level meeting with State Governments to review elimination of Kala-Azar from the country by 2023
About Kala Azar
- Kala-azar is a slow progressing indigenous disease caused by a protozoan parasite of genus Leishmania.
- In India Leishmania donovani is the only parasite causing this disease.
- The Kala-azar is endemic to the Indian subcontinent in 119 districts in four countries (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal).
- This disease is the second-largest parasitic killer in the world. Elimination is defined as reducing the annual incidence of Kala Azar (KA) to less than 1 case per 10,000 people at the sub-district level.
- It is a neglected tropical disease affecting almost 100 countries.
- Neglected tropical diseases are a diverse group of communicable diseases that prevail in tropical and subtropical conditions in 149 countries.
Click Here To Read More: Kala-Azar
Focus: GS II: Government policies and Interventions
Why in News?
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the proposal of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting regarding Central Sector Scheme “Broadcasting Infrastructure and Network Development” (BIND) at a cost of ₹2,539.61 crore for infrastructure development of Prasar Bharati i.e. All India Radio (AIR) and Doordarshan (DD).
About Broadcasting Infrastructure and Network Development Scheme
- The “Broadcasting Infrastructure and Network Development” scheme of the Ministry is the vehicle for providing financial support to Prasar Bharati for expenses related to expansion and upgradation of its broadcasting infrastructure, content development and civil work related to the organization.
- The BIND scheme will enable the public broadcaster to undertake a major upgradation of its facilities with better infrastructure which will widen its reach, including in the LWE, border and strategic areas and provide high quality content to the viewers.
- Another major priority area of the scheme is the development of high-quality content for both domestic and international audience and ensuring availability of diverse content to the viewers by upgradation of capacity of DTH platform to accommodate more channels.
- Purchase of OB vans and digital upgradation of DD and AIR Studios to make them HD ready will be also be done as part of the project.
About Prasar Bharati:
- Prasar Bharati, as the public broadcaster of the country, is the most important vehicle of information, education, entertainment and engagement for the people especially in the remote areas of the country through Doordarshan and All India Radio.
- Prasar Bharati played a stellar role in communicating public health messages and awareness to the public during the covid pandemic.