- Ethanol blending
- Ex SAMPRITI-X
- World Environment Day 2022
Focus: GS III- Environment and Ecology, GS-III: Industry and Infrastructure
Why in News?
India has achieved the target of 10 percent ethanol blending, 5 months ahead of schedule
What is Ethanol fuel?
- Ethanol fuel is ethyl alcohol, the same type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, used as fuel.
- It is most often used as a motor fuel, mainly as a biofuel additive for gasoline.
- Ethanol is commonly made from biomass such as corn or sugarcane.
- Bioethanol is a form of renewable energy that can be produced from agricultural feedstocks.
- It can be made from very common crops such as hemp, sugarcane, potato, cassava and corn.
- There has been considerable debate about how useful bioethanol is in replacing gasoline.
- Concerns about its production and use relate to increased food prices due to the large amount of arable land required for crops, as well as the energy and pollution balance of the whole cycle of ethanol production, especially from corn.
Click Here To Read More: Ethanol Blending
Focus: GS III- Security Challenges
Why in News?
As part of the ongoing India Bangladesh bilateral defence cooperation, a joint military training exercise Ex SAMPRITI-X is being conducted at Jashore Military Station in Bangladesh from 05 June to 16 June 2022.
About Exercise SAMPRITI :
- Exercise SAMPRITI is an important bilateral defence cooperation endeavour conducted alternately by both countries which aims to strengthen and widen the aspects of interoperability and cooperation between both the armies.
- The aim of the exercise is to strengthen interoperability between the two armies and to understand each other’s tactical drills and operational techniques.
Click Here To Read More: Ex SAMPRITI-X
Focus: GS III- Environment
Why in News?
The World Environment Day is observed on the 5th of June every year for encouraging worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment.
About World Environment Day
- The United Nations Assembly established World Environment Day in 1972, which was the first day of the Stockholm Conference on the human environment.
- The theme for 2022:“Only One Earth” which “calls for collective, transformative action on a global scale to celebrate, protect and restore our planet”
- It will kick off the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration (2021-2030) – a global mission to revive billions of hectares, from forests to farmlands, from the top of mountains to the depth of the sea.
- The theme for this year’s in India is ‘promotion of biofuels for a better environment’.
- This year’s celebrations hosted in Sweden’s capital Stockholm and all the related events will be organised here.