- MAN PORTABLE ANTITANK GUIDED MISSILE (MPATGM)
- PRAVASI BHARATIYA DIVAS 2022
MAN PORTABLE ANTI-TANK GUIDED MISSILE (MPATGM)
Focus: GS III- Defence
Why in News ?
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested the final deliverable configuration of Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM).
- In a major boost towards AatmaNirbhar Bharat and strengthening of Indian Army, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight-tested indigenously developed low weight, fire and forget Man Portable Antitank Guided Missile (MPATGM).
- The missile was launched from a man portable launcher integrated with thermal site and the target was mimicking a tank.
- The missile impacted the designated target and destroyed it.
- The final impact event was captured on camera and the test has validated the minimum range successfully.
About Man Portable Antitank Guided Missile (MPATGM)
- It is an indigenously developed low weight, fire and forget missile.
- The missile is incorporated with state-of-the-art Miniaturized Infrared Imaging Seeker along with advanced avionics.
- It brings the development of indigenous third generation man portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile close to completion.
- The missile is being developed to strengthen the combat capabilities of the Indian Army.
About Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is an agency of the Government of India, charged with the military’s research and development.
- It is headquartered in Delhi, India and has its 50+ labs all across the country.
- It was formed in 1958.
- It is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- With a network of 52 laboratories, which are engaged in developing defence technologies covering various fields, like aeronautics, armaments, electronics, land combat engineering, life sciences, materials, missiles, and naval systems, DRDO is India’s largest and most diverse research organisation.
Objectives of DRDO
- Design, develop and lead to production state-of-the-art sensors, weapon systems, platforms and allied equipment for our Defence Services.
- Provide technological solutions to the Services to optimise combat effectiveness and to promote well-being of the troops.
- Develop infrastructure and committed quality manpower and build strong indigenous technology base.
Issues with DRDO:
- Inadequate Budgetary Support
- It also suffers from inadequate manpower in critical areas to the lack of proper synergy with the armed forces.
- Cost escalation and long delays have damaged the reputation of DRDO.
- DRDO is big on promise and small on delivery. There is no accountability. Nobody is taken to task for time and cost overruns.
- Equipments are obsolete and is just tinkering with World War II equipment instead of working on cutting-edge technology.
PRAVASI BHARATIYA DIVAS 2022
Focus: GS II- Government Policies & Interventions
Why in News?
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated on 9th January every year to mark the contribution of the Overseas Indian community in the development of India.
About Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD)
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (Non-Resident Day) is a celebratory day observed on 9 January by the Republic of India to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community towards the development of India.
- The day commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi Ji from South Africa to Mumbai on 9 January 1915.
- Established in 2000, it is sponsored by the Ministry of External Affairs of the Government of India and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), the Confederation of Indian Industries and the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region.
- A celebratory event is held on 7–9 January every other year in an Indian city, a forum for issues concerning the Indian Diaspora is organised and the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards are given.
- Every other year, the Government of India(MEA), selects an Indian city to observe this day.
- In 2006, the concept of Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) was launched during the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas convention at Hyderabad on 9 January.
- The first time it was observed in 2003, however, and it was made a biennial event from 2015 and has been celebrated in (2015,2017,2019)
- The theme of PBD 2021 is “Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat” and venue is at New Delhi.
Significance of Pravasi Bhartiya Divas
- To remember the favours and contributions made by Non-Resident Indians to the welfare and development of the nation.
- It recognizes the role of Indian Diaspora in building New India.
- These conventions provide a platform to the overseas Indian community to engage with the government and people of the land of their ancestors for mutually beneficial activities.
- These conventions are also very useful in networking among the overseas Indian community residing in various parts of the world and enable them to share their experiences in various fields.