- BrahMos supersonic cruise missile
- International Day of Peace
Focus: GS III- Science and Technology
Why in News?
Providing further impetus to Aatmanirbharta in defence production, the Ministry of Defence (MOD) signed a contract with M/s BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL) for acquisition of additional dual-role capable Surface to Surface BrahMos missiles
About BrahMos supersonic cruise missile
- The BrahMos is a medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile that can be launched from submarine, ships, aircraft, or land.
- It is the fastest supersonic cruise missile in the world.
- BRAHMOS is a joint venture between the Defence Research and Development Organisation of India (DRDO) and the NPOM of Russia.
Click Here To Read More: BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile
Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
Each year the International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21st September.
About International Day of Peace
- The United Nations (UN) General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, through observing 24 hours of non-violence and cease-fire.
- The International Day of Peace was established in 1981 by the United Nations General Assembly.
- In 2001, the General Assembly unanimously voted to designate the Day as a period of non-violence and cease-fire.
- The United Nations Association of Japan donated the Peace Bell in 1954. It has become customary to ring the bell twice a year: on the first day of spring, at the Vernal Equinox, and on September 21st, International Day of Peace.
- Theme for 2022: End racism. Build peace.