- National Conference on Technical Textiles
- Exercise -Sada Tanseeq
The Ministry of Textiles, in collaboration with the Government of Andhra Pradesh, hosted a National Conference on Technical Textiles in Vijayawada.
GS III: Indian Economy
Dimensions of the Article:
- Conference Highlights
- About Technical Textiles
- About National Technical Textiles Mission
- Key Themes: Circular Economy Strategies, Sustainability, Agrotextiles, Geotextiles for Infrastructure, and Future Trends.
- Encouragement to Andhra Pradesh Textile Industry: Active participation urged in BHARAT TEX 2024, emphasizing innovation and ideas in Technical Textiles.
- BHARAT TEX 2024: Scheduled for February 26 to 29, 2024, in New Delhi, organized by the Ministry of Textiles and 11 Textile Export Promotion Councils of India.
- Event Objective: Showcase India’s entire textile value chain, from farm to fashion, highlighting heritage, craftsmanship, and innovations.
- Strategic Goal: Position India as a global textile powerhouse, attracting investments, trade, and partnerships.
- The conference serves as a platform for policy discussions and innovation strategies, contributing to the growth and global competitiveness of India’s technical textile sector.
About Technical Textiles
- The Technical Textiles are defined as Textile material and products manufactured primarily for their Technical performance and functional properties rather than aesthetic and decorative characteristics.
- The Technical textiles include textiles for automotive applications, medical textiles (e.g., implants), geotextiles (reinforcement of embankments), agrotextiles (textiles for crop protection), and protective clothing (e.g., heat and radiation protection for fire fighter clothing, molten metal protection for welders, stab protection and bulletproof vests, and spacesuits).
Significance and Potential Applications of Technical Textiles
- The Technical Textiles are being used globally for last several decades. These materials have provided innovative projects.
- Even while Technical Textiles have been extensively used in developed as well as many developing countries, India has yet to capitalize the technical, economical and environmental benefits on large scale.
- The Various parts of India are subjected to floods and environmental degradation. In some of the terrains, the flood management and control can rely on Technical Textiles tubes, containers and bags.
- The Technical Textiles have been found to perform better than concrete as water protection component because of permeability, flexibility and ease of underwater placement.
About National Technical Textiles Mission
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved the establishment of a National Technical Textiles Mission to help India position itself as a “global leader“ in technical textiles.
- The Cabinet has approved a total outlay of Rs 1,480 crore for the project, which will be implemented over four years (2020-2024) and aims to promote research, export and skill development in this sector.
- An Export Promotion Council for Technical Textiles will be set up for export promotion of technical textiles and ensuring 10% average growth in exports per year upto 2023-24.
- The main aim is to get India the highest position in Technical Textiles at a global level
- This mission also aims at improving the penetration level of the technical textiles in the country. It must also be noted that the penetration level of technical textiles is low in India at 5-10%, against 30-70% in advanced countries.
- The authorities aim at increasing the global market for Indian technical textiles
- To simplify the objectives of the mission, it has been divided into four component as well
- The Mission will focus on the usage of technical textiles in various flagship missions, programmes of the country including strategic sectors.
In a major boost of ties, the militaries of India and Saudi Arabia are conducting their first Joint Military Exercise named as Sada Tanseeq.
GS III: Security Challenges
India-Saudi Arabia Joint Military Exercise – Exercise Sada Tanseeq
- Inaugural edition of the joint military exercise ‘SADA TANSEEQ’ between India and Saudi Arabia kicks off in Mahajan, Rajasthan.
- Scheduled to run from January 29 to February 10, 2024.
- Objective is to train troops from both nations for joint operations in semi-desert terrain, aligning with Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter.
- Focus on sharing best practices in tactics, techniques, and procedures for sub-conventional operations.
- Aims to enhance interoperability, camaraderie, and mutual understanding among the participating troops.
- Activities include setting up Mobile Vehicle Check Posts, Cordon & Search Operations, House Intervention Drills, Reflex Shooting, Slithering, and Sniper Firing.
- The exercise serves as an opportunity for both contingents to strengthen their collaborative efforts.