Why in news?
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation Four Refurbished Heritage Buildings in Kolkata today.
- These are Old Currency Building, the Belvedere House, the Metcalfe House and the Victoria Memorial Hall.
- The Prime Minister said that it begins a nationwide campaign to preserve India’s art, culture and heritage, and to Reinvent, Rebrand, Renovate and Rehouse them.
- It is with this spirit that the Union Government has taken up the endeavour to develop India as major centre of Heritage Tourism in the World.
Details of the buildings
Old Currency Building
- This beautiful triple-storeyed structure is built in the early nineteen century (circa 1833 CE).
- The building was handed over to the
- Archaeological Survey of India in the year 2005.
- Belvedere House was the former palace for the Viceroy of India and later the Govenor of Bengal.
- The National Library of India is housed therein, since 1948.
- It is one of the torch-bearers of colonial architecture in Kolkata
- The building was completed in 1844 to accommodate the
- Agri-Horticultural Society in the ground floor and the Calcutta Public Library.
Victoria Memorial Hall
- Victoria Memorial is a large marble building in Kolkata, West Bengal, India, which was built between 1906 and 1921.
- It is dedicated to the memory of Queen Victoria