Focus: GS III- Growth and Development
Why in News?
As a part of Prime Minister Skill India Mission to boost career opportunities and practical training, the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) is organizing Pradhan Mantri National Apprenticeship Melas (PMNAM) across 280 locations in 28 states and Union Territories.
About Apprenticeship Mela
- Under the initiative, the aim is to support hiring of more than one lakh apprentices and assist employers in tapping the right talent and develop it further with training and providing practical skillsets.
- The event will witness participation from more than 4000 organisations across the country, operating in more than 30 sectors such as Power, Retail, Telecom, IT/ITeS, Electronics, Automotive and more.
- In addition, the aspiring youth will have the opportunity to engage and select from more than 500+ trades including Welder, Electrician, Housekeeper, Beautician, Mechanic etc.
- The National Policy of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, 2015 launched by the Prime Minister on July 15, 2015, recognises apprenticeship as a means to provide gainful employment to skilled workforce with adequate compensation.
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has also taken several efforts to increase the number of apprentices hired by enterprises in the country.
- The aim is to fill the gap in supply and demand for skilled workforce and meet the aspirations of the Indian youth through gaining on-the-job training and securing better opportunities for employment.
- Students who have cleared at least Class 5 to those who graduated Class 12, skill training certificate holders, ITI students, diploma holders and graduates are eligible to apply at the Apprenticeship Mela.