Focus: GS-II Governance
Why in News?
Ministry of WCD has extended the last date for the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar from 30th September, 2022 to 31st October, 2022
Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puruskar
- The Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar (formerly known as the National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement) is India’s Highest Civilian Honour bestowed upon exceptional achievers under the age of 18.
- The award was instituted by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India in 1996 to recognize children with exceptional abilities and outstanding status in various fields such as academics, arts, culture, design, innovation, research, social service, and sports.
- The award is conferred by the President of India in the week preceding the Republic Day where the nation’s other prestigious civilian honours like the Bharat Ratna, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri are also presented. (Previously, the awards were conferred on Children’s Day).
- The awardees also participate in the Republic Day Parade.
- A National Selection Committee, headed by Minister, MWCD or MoS, MWCD will finalize the names of the awardees for the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar.
- These awards are given under two categories – Bal Shakti Puraskar and Bal Kalyan Puraskar.
- Bal Shakti Puraskar aims to give recognition to children who have achieved extraordinarily in various fields including innovation, scholastic, sports, art & culture, social service and bravery.
- Bal Kalyan Puraskar is given as recognition to Individuals and Institutions, who have made an outstanding contribution towards service for children in the field of child development, child protection and child welfare.