Focus: GS-II Governance
Why in news?
For the year 2020, the scheme for Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration has been comprehensively restructured to recognize the contribution of civil servants in strengthening of:
- Inclusive Development through Credit Flow to the Priority Sector
- Promoting people’s movements – “Jan Bhagidari” through Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban and Gramin) in the District
- Improving Service Delivery and Redressal of Public Grievances
- The scope of the awards has been expanded to identify areas of overall outcome-oriented performance in the districts across sectors.
- The contribution of District Collectors would be recognized for implementation of Inclusive Credit Flow to the Priority Sector, promoting people’s movements through Jan Bhagidari and Improving Service Delivery and Redressal of Public Grievances.
- Further the Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration seek to recognize the efforts of District level officials in Namami Gange Program.
- The award for the Aspirational Districts Program has been revamped to reward the District having the best overall progress under the Scheme following 2 years of implementation.
- The Innovations category has traditionally received the highest number of nominations. The scheme has been broad based to recognize Innovations at National/ State / District level in 3 separate categories.
Background: Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration
- Government of India has instituted a scheme, “Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration” – to acknowledge, recognize and reward the extraordinary and innovative work done by Districts/ organizations of the Central and State Governments.
- The awards are given every year for Excellence in implementing identified Priority Programmes of Government of India and extraordinary and innovative work done by the Organizations of Central/ State Governments/ Districts in public governance.
- Two awards shall also be given to Organizations of Central/ State Governments / Districts for Innovations in environment conservation, disaster management, water conservation, energy, education and health, women and child centric initiatives etc., of which one shall be given for innovations by Aspirational districts, under the Aspirational Districts Programme (ADP).