Focus: GS II- Governance
Why in News?
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister has approved a new Scheme, Prime Minister’s Development Initiative for North East Region (PM-DevINE) for the remaining four years of the 15th Finance Commission from 2022-23 to 2025-26.
About Prime Minister’s Development Initiative for North-East (PM-DevINE)
- PM-DevINE is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% Central funding.
- The PM-DevINE Scheme will have an outlay of Rs.6,600 crore for the four year period from 2022-23 to 2025-26 (remaining years of 15th Finance Commission period).
- Efforts will be made to complete the PM-DevINE projects by 2025-26 so that there are no committed liabilities beyond this year.
- This implies front-loading of the sanctions under the Scheme in 2022-23 and 2023-24 primarily.
- While expenditure would continue to be incurred during 2024-25 and 2025-26, focused attention will be given to complete the sanctioned PM-DevINE projects.
- To limit construction risks of time and cost overrun, falling on the Government projects would be implemented on Engineering-procurement-Construction (EPC) basis, to the extent possible.
- However, it will not be a substitute for existing central or state Schemes.
PM-DevINE will lead to creation of infrastructure, support industries, social development projects and create livelihood activities for youth and women, thus leading to employment generation.
- PM-DevINE will be implemented by Ministry of DoNER through North Eastern Council or Central Ministries/ agencies.
- Measures would be taken to ensure adequate operation and maintenance of the projects sanctioned under PM-DevINE so that they are sustainable.
- Fund infrastructure convergently, in the spirit of PM Gati Shakti;
- Support social development projects based on felt needs of the NER;
- Enable livelihood activities for youth and women;
- Fill the development gaps in various sectors.