Focus: GS II: Government policies and Interventions, GS III: Indian Economy
Why in News?
Tribal Affairs Minister recently launched Marketing and Logistics Development for Promotion of Tribal Products from North-Eastern Region (PTP-NER) scheme in Manipur.
The PTP-NER Scheme is a government initiative that aims to empower Scheduled Tribes in the North-Eastern Region of India by improving the procurement, logistics, and marketing of tribal products. Here are some key points to know about the scheme:
To strengthen livelihood opportunities for tribal artisans in North Eastern States.
The scheme applies to the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, and Sikkim.
- Empanelment of tribal artisans from the North Eastern Region through organizing 68 Tribal Artisan Melas (TAMs) in various districts of the region.
- Organizing regular Design & Skill Development training sessions for tribal recipients.
- Improving the efficiency of procurement, logistics, and marketing of tribal products from North Eastern States.
- North Eastern Handicrafts and Handlooms Development Corporation (NEHHDC).
- India Post under the Department of Posts.
- Other North Eastern State Government Departments/Agencies.
- India Post will provide logistics support to meet the goals of the scheme.